Join Our E-mail List for Updates!
Email:

Healthcare

History: Hope for Haiti began its healthcare activities in 1997 with the expertise of gastroenterologist Dr. Keith Hussey. During its work in the area of education, the organization had found that clinics and medical facilities were available, but that their capacities were severely limited by a lack of materials, medications, and well-paid staff. To respond, we began procuring the items that these local facilities needed and transporting them to Haiti where they could be used to benefit the poorest of the poor. We also began organizing teams of healthcare professionals from the United States and abroad to conduct Medical Missions in Haiti, providing assistance to existing facilities and bringing mobile medical care to rural populations. Since 2008, our healthcare program has expanded drastically, primarily thanks to the opening of the Infirmary St. Etienne, our Haitian-staffed outpatient consultation center and pharmacy in downtown Les Cayes. Since the earthquake in January 2010, we have continued to increase our capacity to bring care, treatment, and skilled professionals to thousands in need.

Objectives: To increase access to quality healthcare for the Haitian people within our zone of service.



Why invest in increasing the quality of healthcare for the Haitian people?

Haiti's current healthcare system is insufficient to meet even the minimum medical needs of her people. The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) states that only 60% of Haiti's population has some form of access to healthcare, whereas the other 40% rely on traditional medicine in the rural areas. Haiti's population is over 9 million, leaving more than 3,600,000 people without any medical care each year. Haitian men, women, and children depend on outside organizations and private donors to fill in the gaps of even the most basic healthcare needs and services.

Limited access and poor quality in the Haitian healthcare sector cause significant delays in the country's development. A lack of medical treatment or medications can keep men and women from working and children from going to school. Keeping the Haitian people healthy is critical to the overall development of their country.


What specifically does Hope for Haiti do to support healthcare programs?

Hope for Haiti's Healthcare Program focuses on three main activities: distributing medications and medical supplies to healthcare facilities in Port-au-Prince and the south; operating the Infirmary St. Etienne in downtown Les Cayes; and hosting Medical Missions of visiting nurses, doctors, and other healthcare professionals who provide mobile medical outreach to rural populations.

The process of procuring, shipping, and distributing medications and medical supplies is an enormous part of Hope for Haiti's activities, both in Naples, FL and in Haiti. We work with corporate, non-profit, and private sources in the States to acquire the medications and supplies, and then distribute them to over 60 locations throughout Haiti. Last year alone, we delivered over $50 million worth of medications and medical supplies to healthcare providers and patients in Haiti.

The centerpiece of Hope for Haiti's Healthcare Program is the Infirmary St. Etienne, which has been operating in downtown Les Cayes since April 2009. Serving 150-200 patients per week, the Hope for Haiti Infirmary has acquired a solid reputation as a quality healthcare provider in the Southern Department. Patients come from the city and from numerous rural provinces seeking the affordable, accessible care. Our Haitian staff includes two doctors, two nurses, a lab-technician, two community health nurses, and an administrator.



How does Hope for Haiti work with other healthcare providers to improve care and reduce duplication of services?

The other pillar of Hope for Haiti's approach to healthcare is coordination. We hold frequent workshops at our office in Les Cayes with various actors in the local healthcare sector, including national and international NGOs, public and private hospitals, birthing clinics, and visiting medical teams. We are constantly seeking to match our supplies of lifesaving medications with the demands of other facilities, streamline the provision of services, and communicate better with all available partners to improve health outcomes.







What are ways that you can help make a difference?
  • Monetary Donations: All donations made for healthcare go directly to providing medical services to the poorest of the poor.
  • Medications & Healthcare Supplies: Please contact us if you have potential methods of procuring quality medications and healthcare supplies.
  • Medical Specialists: If you are a medical professional who specializes in pediatrics, orthopedics, dentistry, ophthalmology, surgery, etc...and would be interested in volunteering your time, please contact our office.

Robert E. Hord Emergency Medical Fund


Donate Now
Website Builder